Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mondays with Gaga



In an effort to actually enhance my abilities as a writer, I ditched my Monday night freelance writing class to hang out with Stefani Joanne Angelina Germonatta and her little monsters at the Gwinnett Arena thanks to one of the most amazing beauty PR girls ever. While Stef won be back as a fan with her stirring version of Born This Way and her impressive vocal and running in heels skills, her fans as usual stole the show and placed it firmly back in her hands by the time the last note was played.

Getting back to the beginning, I met up with the most awesome group of girls ever, including Ren of Makeup By RenRen, Tiffany of Makeup by Tiffany D and AJC style writer Nedra, for a pre-show sip and chat about everything from dressing up as the artist for concerts, a la Gaga's petits monstres, to twitter apps. As a group of beauty/style bloggers and PR types you know arriving in style was number 1 on our plate so, we hopped into the same SUV Gagaloo was chauffeured in the last time she was in Atlanta, according to the coolest driver ever, and made our way waaaay outside of the perimeter to the Gwinnett Arena in record time. After freshening up we took in the sites, and by sites I mean tons of fans from 2-92 dressed in their best Gaga-esque attire, which was strikingly similar to what people wear on Halloween and during Mardi Gras. There was tons of this...



A couple of these.


Of course a few of these...


And thank heavens I didn't see any of this...


But my favorite incarnation of Gaga had to be this...


Two 13 year old girls, out way past their bed time on a school night, screaming at the top of their lungs in a fever pitch "WE LOVE YOU MAMA MONSTER!", while their parents occupied the seat next to them. (Side note: Apparently parents and grandparents love Lady Gaga, which is a very different reaction another tongue in cheek, Italian American, performer who started out on the same LES received in the 80s due mostly in part to the fact that these parents were teenagers and in their 20s in the 1980s.) The amazing thing about these girls, aside from their black, bee stung lips and their home made Pokerface masks, was the ability to cut through the dangerously high decibels being generated in the room with their barely pubescent voices-ahh teenage girls. Oh and did I mention that their parents were with them!

Before I finish up on how the entire thing made my week, it was a great show and I hardly ever get out with a group of ladies these days, I have to tell you about Gaga's opening acts Lady Starlight and Semi Precious Weapons. Lady Starlight seemingly lives by Ke$ha's motto and brushes her teeth with a bottle of Jack every morning because girl did a 30 minute set and downed an entire bottle of whiskey between DJing and dancing on stage in what looked like the kind of pants that football players wear on game day. Lady Starlight, who has been pals with Gaga since her Tisch School days, was followed by Semi Precious Weapons, another group of Gaga pals from her LES days. All I have to say bout these guys is that their frontman, Justin Tranter, has the best legs I've ever seen on anyone and made me want to hit the treadmill harder than a Gaga fan at a wig shop on the day before the Monsters Ball.

Like I said, this show for sure made my week, form the great group of girls that I enjoyed it with to Gaga leaving everything on the stage as she ran around and danced in over 6 inch heels. Kinda makes me look forward to her upcoming video for Judas, which already has the Catholic League sweating in their pews, just like Mama Madonna would have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment