Monday, March 7, 2011

Lazy Girl Chic!


*This post was done for Gamine, my personal pet project, to view it in its original form go to DIY Adventures: Lazy Girl Chic.

Despite that fact that I manage to look pretty decent 95% of the time that I am out on the town having coffee at various places and doing whatever else it is I pretend to do, I am very lazy at heart when it comes to fashion. I love clothes and I can navigate any shop like its my second home however, the effort required to shop, maintain a closet-I’m an uber virgo who color codes her clothes by function-and plan outfits on the reg always eludes me. For these reasons, and because I find it incredibly vain and narcissistic oh and lame, I have never nor will I ever keep a blog dedicated to daily outfits and my personal style, I’ll leave that to the folks at Lookbook.nu. What I have mastered in my years of being a procrastinating perfectionist is how to get dressed in under 15 minutes and come out looking like a winner and I owe it to two things, the dress and my winning addtiude.

To master the “I just rolled out of bed and threw on the first thing I saw but I look great” look all you need is a few work horse dresses, I call them my old faithfuls, that you can dress up or down. A great basic dress to start with is this one from AA. Say you have a cocktail type thing to go to and you’re running late, all you need is this dress, a killer pair of heels, a blazer and a swipe of red lipstick-blazers and red lipstick confuse people into thinking you’re polished with little work-and bam instant outfit. Now say you have a day date with someone you kinda want to impress, take the same dress and pair it with a denim vest, gladiators, a cute but not too big bag, and pile your hair into a top knot with a swipe of lipstick-seriously whenever I don’t feel like putting on make-up I put on lipstick it really fools people-and there you are lunch date/internship/general day time activities ready.

I have to admit that not every occasion calls for dress that is so basic, in those cases I dress down a more formal dress. For example, I actually own this French Connection dress that is a bit of an anti-boner and in a period of two months I wore it twice styled very differently to two very different occasions and guess what? Winner! First, I wore it to Jeffrey’s Fashion Cares Atlanta where I belted it with a skinny belt only in the front, I was going for a Grecian godess meets belted huke look, added my over the knee riding boots and you guessed it red lipstick and was ready to meet Jack and Lazaro of Proenza Schouler in under 15 minutes. A couple of weeks later I wore the same dress with a pair of heels, no belt and a super old clutch from Banana Republic to a wedding of one of the BF’s college buddies. That night I got quite a bit of compliments and got ready in the time it took my nail polish to dry.

Here’s the thing about dress dressing, not every occasion calls for a dress but as a woman you have the option to make every occasion a dress occasion. I’ve pulled off many a tee-shirt/over-sized button down/tank and leggings/jeans/skirt combo without thinking to hard on it-benefits of a well organized closet and dresser-but its not as easy and putting on a dress and boots and causing all kinds of style crushes.


No comments:

Post a Comment